Welcome to Coigach (Ullapool)

Welcome to Coigach (Ullapool)

Situated east of the Coigach peninsula, on the shores of Loch Broom, is the village of Ullapool which came into being in the late eighteenth century when the British Society for extending the Fisheries and improving the Sea Coasts of the Kingdom agreed to purchase 1500 acres for the purposes of erecting public and domestic buildings in connection with the herring fishing.  Fishing was not entirely successful at times during the 19th century when fishermen had to seek employment elsewhere but fortunes improved in the latter part of the 20th century when factory ships ('Klondykers') brought prosperity.  Although the Klondykers have long since left, Ullapool remains as the mainland link for the ferry to and from Stornoway and is a popular tourist centre.

The Coigach peninsula contains crofting settlements such as Achiltibuie, a popular holiday venue, Isle Martin and Tanera Mor, the latter originating in 1775 as a fishing station and customs house established by a Liverpool group, becoming an unsuccessful flour-milling business in the 1930s and in modern times known as a bird sanctuary.


Ullapool pier in 1910 gives an indication of the fishing industry at that time.
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage