Avoch and Killen Places

Avoch and Killen Community Collage


Avoch War Memorial



War Memorial - site of midnight service on 31 December 1999.

This imposing Memorial stands on high ground at the junction of the main road into Avoch (A832) and a side road which leads to a former Free Church, now converted into a dwelling house. Map reference is NH698551 on Sheet 26.

The Memorial is a well-designed, elegant tapered pillar, painted primrose-yellow, and standing on a three-stepped platform painted a dark grey.

Avoch and Killen features




Avoch harbour

The first harbour was built in 1814and was designed by Telford. A new harbour was constructed in the first decade of the twentieth century and the eastern breakwater was added in 1948. It no longer sees the same number of fishing boats as it once did but is used for recreational purposes.


Henrietta bridge

This bridge was built in about 1800 when the harbour was constructed and it linked the fishermen's cottages on the West side of the village with the area known as Dock and the harbour. During the flood in 1946 when a lot of the silt was washed away from the base of the bridge huge slabs were seen indicating the likeliehood of an older ford on the site.




Two photos of the Railway Bridge.

This unusual double arched bridge was constructed as part of the 1902 Muir of Ord to Fortrose branch line and carried the line eastward from Avoch station. The route of the line now serves as a pleasant walk between Avoch and Fortrose.

    
Pallay Stone

This unusual object is believed to be part of a Victorian gas manifold - part of a lighting scheme installed by the owner of Rosehaugh House, James Douglas Fletcher. The gasometer was in the grounds of the old blanket factory in George Street. There is now no gas supply to the village. Apart from the general historic interest the Pallay is of sentimental value to a number of locals for whom it was a plaything.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage