Avoch and Killen Places

Within living memory there were 13 shops in Avoch and one in Killen as well as other commercial premises such as blacksmiths and a sailmaker. Largely, due to improved communications, a lot of these have disappeared. Most of those remaining are on the High Street.

Avoch and Killen Commercial Properties


Fishermen's Co-operative

This business opened in 1980 to cater for the needs of the fishermen. Here they could not only get any gear that they wanted but also obtain insurance or fuel cards. Since then the range of goods has widened and it is now a very useful source of hardware, outdoor clothing and DIY materials for all the village. For 16 years the manager was Lewis Patience who is himself an ex-fisherman.


Mace store

There were originally two houses on this site and it was once an electrical shop. In recent years it has been a Mace shop, a Spar shop and, since 1996, a Mace shop again. It sells the usual grocery items, newspapers and stationery in addition to hiring out videos and providing noticeboards for local activities.


Avoch Post Office

The Post Office, High Street, Avoch, used to be called "The Other Shop". The building was converted in 1970 and was run as a gift shop from 1970 until about 1985 when it became a Post Office replacing the old Post Office which was situated for many years in the building next to the Station Hotel. The Post Office, old and new, was run by Margaret Smith of Fortrose from 1951 to 1987. It had two other owners between 1987 and 1994. 


Brenda May, hairdresser

Originally a thatched cottage, this building was once an electrical business before becoming a hairdressing salon. The present owner cuts and styles the hair of both sexes and pierces ears. She has been here for 25 years and 18 years ago she opened another shop in Fortose.


Harbour Inn

This was originally called the Central Hotel. It was established about 1890 and known under that name until 1983. By-names were common in Avoch and the hotel was known locally as "Cruikies", after the original owners, the Cruickshanks. Subsequently it was owned in turn by Messrs. Howie, Catternach and Hetherington. In 1983 it was bought by Bob Cook and the name changed to the Harbour Inn. In1992, because of rising costs, the licenced bar was closed and the business became that of a guest house and tea room. 


Gabi's Indian Takeaway

Formerly a beauty salon and, before that, an accountant's office, these premises in Rose Street opened in 2002 as an Indian takeaway.


Burnside Garage, Long Road

This business was established in 1949 by Colin MacArthur, father of the present proprietor, Arthur . The original premises, which were erected on marshy ground in Long Road, consisted of a Nissen Hut acquired from Achnacarry, where it had been used as a hospital ward for injured Lovat Scouts during the 2nd World War. The present building was erected over the original hut which was then demolished from inside. As the ground was marshy and the premises tended to flood, the present owner raised the floor level by some 7 inches (17.5cms.) to prevent further flooding and this has been successful.


Garage premises being built over original Nissen hut.


Station Hotel

Known as "Dave's" (and previously as "Kenny's") this hotel rarely gets its proper title locally. It was built at the end of the 19th century when there was a railway station in the village. It is famed both in and outwith the village for the value of its bar meals and a conservatory extension was added to help accomodate the many vistors it gets, especially in the summer months when they spill into the garden area.


Avoch bakery

The Avoch bakehouse in George Street was founded in about 1930.

 
Jasmine Chinese Takeaway

This was established in August 1998 by Heather and Wayne Lee, both originally from Hong Kong, and boasts a menu which matches any to be found in the larger establishments in nearby Inverness.


DJs

At one time this building was the council offices and many people remember paying their rents here. Later it was used as a satellite surgery for the Fortrose doctors before selling fish.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage