Aultbea Places

Aultbea Community Collage

Udrigle House

Situated by the west shore of Gruinard Bay. It is thought to have been built circa. 1745 for William the fourth of Gruinard at the time of his marriage to Lilias daughter of John Mackenzie first of Lochend. The marriage stone above the lintel on the mantle shelf in the parlour is inscribed "17 W MK LMK 45". Restored in 1992/93.

Aultbea features


War Memorial, Aultbea

Tall white granite needle on five square plinths, the top two of which are also granite. This memorial is situated at the east side of the main road between Poolewe and Laide opposite to the turning to Birchburn. A concrete wall topped with iron railings surrounds it. Access is through an unlocked gate and the memorial is surrounded within the enclosure by a gravel path. It is incised on all four faces.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage