Alexander Matheson

Ardross Community Collage
Alexander Matheson (1805 - 1886), purchased Adross Estate which included the parish of Bridgend from the Duke of Sutherland. He improved the estate and in 1880 - 1881 he commissioned Alexander Ross to redesign Adross Castle and was a benefactor to the village of Adross. He sold Ardross to Dyson Perrins in 1899.

Over his time of tenure Matheson outlayed some £230,000 on land improvements. He was also responsible for bringing the railway north of Inverness.

More details about Alexander Matheson and Ardross Castle can be found on the Ardross Locations page of this website. 
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage