Alness Places


Alness War Memorial

The inscription reads:
"The Great War 1914-1918.  This stone commemorates the men of Alness and West Rosskeen who at their country's call went forth to defend their homes and empire, endured untold sufferings and passed from the sight of men by the path of duty and sacrifice."

Their dust is in the deserts and the deep sea and yet triumphant o'er the grave their spirits never sleep but guard the freedom which they died to save.
_________________

The lettering on the memorial had become somewhat  illegible and so, to mark the centenary of WW1, a group in Alness decided to embark on a programme of refurbishment.

Alness Features

This aeroplane propeller, on a site near Alness high street, serves as a reminder of the importance the nearby air station played during the Second World War.

Alness Point Memorial

The Memorial is sited at the Alness Point Business Park and was dedicated on 16 October 2001.

Funding for the Memorial came from Ross & Cromarty Enterprise (RACE), Novar Community Windfarm Fund and the Highland Branch of the Aircrew Association. The design was created by architect Calum Anton, and researched by Roy Keen with acknowledgement to Jim Hughes.

In World War Two the base, a natural choice by Coastal Command for marine craft use, covered a big area locally and was served by a large number of RAF men and women. It acted as an operational and training base for aircrew.

Aircraft were mainly Catalinas and Sunderlands together with Air/Sea Rescue units and many other ancillary sections usually found on a major RAF station.

On 25 August 1942 HRH. The Duke of Kent who was due to visit troops in Iceland took off in a Sunderland of 228 Squadron from the Cromarty Firth. In heavy rain and mist the aircraft crashed on the mountain Eagh Rech (Eagle Rock) near the village of Berriedale. All aboard were killed except one. The tragedy was found to be due to pilot error.

For more information on aviation in Easter Ross and the Moray Firth areas see "A Steep Turn to the Stars" by Jim Hughes.

Roy Keen
August 2003

This photograph shows John Cruickshank, VC, after he unveiled the Memorial to aircrew and all others who served at RAF. Alness (Invergordon) on the Cromarty Firth from 1939 to 1986.

John Cruickshank was awarded the Victoria Cross for his part in the sinking of a German U-boat and bringing his crew, two of whom were killed, and badly damaged Catalina aircraft back home, although being severely wounded himself.






This memorial at Alness Point on the Cromarty Firth marks the site of the former World War Two Coastal Command Flying Boat Base and is dedicated to the memory of all who served here - some of whom bought freedom from tyranny at the expense of their lives.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

The Firth in wartime was a highly active area and RAF involvement included Operations Training Servicing and Air Sea Rescue Supported by 88 Maintenance Unit (Marine Craft) at RAF Meikle Ferry on the Dornoch Firth. From 1938 the following units are recorded as having served here. 4 (coastal) operational Training Unit Squadrons 201, 209, 210, 228, 240, 422 (RCAF) and 119 (GR). Special Duties Flight. 5 Flying Boat Servicing Unit.6 Air Sea Rescue (Marine Craft Unit) 102. Wing 302 Ferry Training Unit. Coastal Command Flying Instructors School. 1100 Marine Craft Unit. No.2 Communications Trials Unit. The base closed in 1986.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage